Since I’m reading Harry Potter currently as I look over the future prompts, this one seemed especially apt and fun, definitely going to have a few from the HP world here. Unlike Hagrid, however, I prefer the cute or beautiful ones, no dragons for me!
- Pygmy puff (soft purple)
- Tiny owl like Pigwidgeon
- Unicorn (white with a silver horn)
- Pegasus (jet black)
- Phoenix (the Harry Potter version, not sure what the traditional myth version is like!)
- Cat like Crookshanks
- Another cat
- Another cat
- Another cat (I’m one of those born cat people, sorry, not sorry)
- Ok, probably a dog, maybe. Lots of loyal dog companions in books like in the Sutcliff novels.
Quick edit to add . . . I scheduled this post maybe a month before putting a deposit down on a puppy . . . whose name is Bjorn from a Rosemary Sutcliff book!
Now, this is totally overdone I realize. I also feel sure I’ve done a similar post, maybe even for Top Ten Tuesday, I really don’t care though.
I’m also linking up to Cordy’s Lovely Blog party, I think this fits.
I’m not talking about the couples who amateur writes try to make bantering or fighting coupes, where they are just people who are petty fighting and have no chemistry and would probably bicker with a lot of people. I’m talking about a variety from guys who tease (I also just tend to like guys who tease) to equally witty banter to occasionally genuine clashing. But the key? The outrageous chemistry between the two. You can have fight couples without chemistry. In no particular order of favorites:
- Obviously, the originals Benedick and Beatrice.
- Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane in the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries.
- Mara and Sheftu in Mara, Daughter of the Nile.
- Ron and Hermione. I was thinking about how people have said Rowling later said it should have been Hermione and Harry or have themselves said why not Harry and Hermione. Ron and Hermione had a chemistry from the start, yeah the sparks were negative, but they were sparks, Harry just didn’t have the same reaction. He and Hermione had zero chemistry, absolutely sibling vibes, with Hermione as the elder sister. He was open and close with Hermione in a way that had no awkwardness or embarrassment because there was zero attraction, there was nothing there to hide, while Ron and Hermione kind of like circled around each other warily emotionally because there was an undercurrent of something they didn’t at first want to or know how to deal with. And also, I just love Harry and Ginny together (actually my favorite HP couples I think), and again, I think there was something there with them, yes Ginny’s crush, but when Harry finally woke up, they had amazing chemistry, their personalities were just so right for each other.
- Jo and Laurie, yes, I know they aren’t a couple, but their chemistry and closeness! And this is why I ship them!
- Perry and Ilse in the Emily books.
- For the same reason Jeffrey and Skye in the Penderwicks.
- Mr. Thornton and Margaret. Now, they don’t have the banter aspect, until a bit towards the end, but man, do they have the chemistry, and I’m talking about the book
- Now, lots of Georgette Heyer (most of them really) feature a bantering couple, but Charles and Sophy are a standout, they don’t fall into her hugely stereotype couples, and so I think The Grand Sophy is one of her better novels.
- Sophie and Howl in Howl’s Moving Castle.
Now, you could put Darcy and Elizabeth down as being one of these couples, but um, they aren’t at all in my favorites, and really, its hard to use the word “chemistry” in connection with a lot of Austen couples, except of course Captain Wentworth.