Do Less Guests podcast. Trey Kennedy’s version of a patreon.
Ghostrunners. Silly and goofy, I’ve needed light stuff. Trey’s film guy Jake who he’s had on his podcast (which were my favorites) and one of his best friends. They talk about fast-food a lot. Now I really want some Chick-fil-a.
Speaking with Joy. She describes herself as a Christian humanist. She has degrees from Oxford and St. Andrew (where she is currently located). This is not just for those who are Christian or of a Christian background. She discusses deep things with other people who appreciate deep things. She mentions have friends of different religions and how they love to discuss these things openly and intellectually.
This is refreshing, sometimes it seems the options tend to be shallow Christianity that gets hatred and mockery, the hateful and mocking group. Or legalistic, cold Christianity that doesn’t befriend equally those who are not elect (moi, sore subject). Or apathetic non-religious people. But this podcast shows that no, there can be other options. And it hearkens back to the rich tradition of Christian humanism which with Christian media often tending to be of the most abysmal quality, is SO refreshing.
I was listening to something that felt pseudo intellectual and felt I really needed something intellectual. Since I’d quit Google Podcast in a huff, I hadn’t listened to anymore Speaking with Joy. Google had fixed it (or rather made it easier for me to fix the issue, one never knows with Google). And oh, this podcast, especially when she has guests, does as she intends to “feed [my] soul.” It is SO rich in beauty and intellectualism.
I recommend. Many of these I want to re-listen to and look up all the recommended books and such.
- The Consolation of Mystery Novels with Boze Herrrington of twitter fame. Oh, good my obsession is justified, just kidding, I do need to think deeper on my own reading of mysteries.
- Golden Fury. Alchemy with the author of a book who writes a ya historical novel featuring alchemy.
- Places to Belong. I think this was one the first I listened to when I started listening again, Wendell Berry and home. Sign me up.
- Do Something that Won’t Compute. More Berry.
- The Celtic Way with her sister Sarah (author of Book Girl). I love anything Irish and Celtic I can get my hands on which leads me to Turning Darkness in Light in which she discusses an independent Irish film as part of her theme.
- Jane Austen the Moral Philosopher with Karen Swallow Prior (I’ve GOT to read On Reading Well).
- Narnia and the Seven Heavens with Dr. Michael Ward author of Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis. I’m so intrigued to read this!
- Feasting and Fasting with her friend David.
- Good Stories of Good Men and Heroes and Anti-Heroes with her brother Nathan.
- Decent Men in Indecent Times.
- The Wisdom of Whimsy. This was one of the first episodes I listened to ever. Before I really got bit my the podcast bug.
- Girls Club: Dear Joylena one and two with her best friend Elena where they answer lots of questions about friendships and such. The Girls club series is based on the Clarkson women’s book on female friendship. And Women’s Friendship in Film and tv also with Elena.