I found this tag on Hayden’s blog Leatherbound, and the tag originated here on Fairy Tale Central. I’m realizing there are so many more fairytales I need to read and find retellings of. I used to be more interested in those, these questions are bringing back my interest.
– What’s an obscure fairy tale you love?
“The Twelve Dancing Princesses.” I don’t think this is super obscure, but I’ve never heard of a movie version but only book versions, and quite frankly, I think I prefer it not to be tainted with film.
– If you got to choose Disney’s next animated princess movie, what fairy tale would you choose to be adapted?
I feel like I wouldn’t want anything too special, it might ruin it, make it less mystical and romantic. I think “The Princess and the Pea” would work nicely. Maybe “Rumpelstiltskin.”
– What is the first fairy tale you remember hearing when you were a child?
I grew up with Disney so those, but I feel like “Hansel and Gretel,” “The Three Little Pigs,” and The Gingerbread Man (those are fairy-tales, right? Or what would they be called) were early too (and scarring, at least the first two).
– If you were to embark on a fairy tale quest, what necessities would you pack in your bag?
In my magically (like Hermione’s) expanding bag: a wand, a special potion like Father Christmas gives Lucy, a horn like Susan’s, an invisibility cloak, a magic lantern, a shield, and a magic map (something of a mix between the Marauder’s Map and the book from Ella Enchanted plus a magical geographical map). And I suppose I’d need a sword or something. Just to cover my bases. This fairy tale would be called “The Quest of the Paranoid Princess.”
– What’s your favorite fairy tale trope?
The obscure to beloved Cinderella trope. Just all the warm fuzzies.
– If you could be any fairy tale character archetype (the princess, the soldier, fairy godmother, talking animal, mischievous imp, wise old woman, evil stepmother/sister, etc.), who would you want to be and why?
The princess. I love romance and princely heroes.
– What animal/mythical creature would be your sidekick for fairy tale adventures?
A unicorn. Jet black with a silver horn.
– What is your favorite historical era, and what fairy tale would you love to see in that setting?
One of my favorites that I think would fit a fairy tale setting would be ancient/Celtic Britain. But I also love R.J. Anderson’s Faerie Rebels which are traditional Celtic fairies (as opposed to Disney-esque ones) in modern Britain (as are the 13 Treasures series).
– If you could change a fairy tale’s villain into a hero, who would you choose and why?
I can’t think of any right off the bat.
– Do you prefer fairy tales with happy endings or sad/tragic endings? why or why not?
Happy! I’m not super positive, and I need super positive endings.