My Year in Movies: 2019
I don’t track my movies with near the precision of my books (I don’t bother with re-watches, I’d quickly lose track), but I have started tracking movies with Letterboxd. And a few days ago, I received an email with my movie year in review from Letterboxd which was a fun surprise. I think I didn’t put all my Hallmarks for this season in yet though, so its not totally accurate on the number of films and hours. I did some updating.
And then I realized that Letterboxd has a duplication problem; you can have multiple entries (and multiple counts) of the same movie, so that completely defeats the purpose. I then exported, deleted, updated, and edited my list of watched movies. So now I have an Excel list, but I’ll have to manually add the date of the movie, etc. However, it is easier to mass add the category tags in Excel. I wish there was a better site, but there doesn’t seem to be. Maybe I can somehow juggle both (clear out my account and import everything back in, and then add movies more carefully? And then export, cut the ones I’ve recently added and brush it up?).
I probably should track re-watches to track my overall movie watching habit, clearly the Hallmarks are waaaaay out of hand.
Per the email and my memory/Wikipedia. I think I watched some Hallmarks that were new to me but not new this year, I’d have to check. This is as accurate as its getting right now.
- I watched 61 new-to-me films
- My two biggest categories were Hallmark at 27 titles (I’ve watched 140 Hallmark movies out of 437 movies I’ve counted, this merits another post) and Classics at 16 titles
- My most watched actor/actress was Lauren Bacall (6: Designing Woman, How to Marry a Millionaire, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, Key Largo, and Dark Passage)
- My most watched director was Howard Hawks
- My 4 highest rated films were Spider Man: Homecoming, Testament of Youth, I am Dragon, and Thor: Ragnarok