10 Questions to Consider Before Addressing a Controversial or Sensitive Subject
If the answer to any of these is “no,” please stop right there and re-evaluate and be quiet.
- Is your desire to add a layer of concrete information or analysis?
- Are your emotions in check and are you well aware you might me wrong?
- Are you addressing a specific, well-defined, and significant issue?
- Are you an important voice for your sphere or forum?
- Is the issue or your understanding of it unique?
- Can you clearly define the error?
- Will you use formal and informal logic, scholarly resources, and critical reasoning with good interpersonal communication skills to address the error and point other people towards helpful resources?
- If there is good, will you acknowledge it?
- If someone offers a valid counter-point or counter-argument will you answer it?
- Are you going to change or align your own life with your views (not merely tell others how to act)?