I love blog parties. Here is the link to the Cinderella Week. I am hopefully going to post two reviews of two Cinderella novel re-tellings later this week.
Cinderella Party Tag:
1. In the vast array of fairytale heroines, what particular character qualities most define Cinderella?
Meekness and patience . . . and sorry, but rather a bit (or more) of flightiness/excessive-optimism depending on the retelling.
2. What are some of the deeper, big picture differences you see between retellings where both stepsisters are nasty and others where one is nasty and one is kind? How do you think the two takes differently develop/illuminate/affect Cinderella’s character and also the overarching story itself?
The only nice step-sister I can think of is Jacqueline in Ever After, and she was a bit weak in her kindness, but she definitely grew and added depth to the already deeper version of the story. I think that Danielle had more overall support in this version between her servant friends, Gustav, and Jacqueline. This may have made some things easier, but some things harder because they never helped her completely either because they were powerless or fearful. I think that Danielle was more independent speaking rather than actually self-sufficient independent like the 2015 Cinderella; words rather than actuality.
3. Are you an animal lover? Would you eagerly count mice, lizards, cows, and geese as friends? Dogs and cats?
I love cats, and like dogs, but I hate when all animals are unnecessarily killed (e.g. by horrible drivers).
4. After asking question #3, I realized how remarkably many of the adaptations I’ve seen have Cinderella either horseback riding or involved with horses. Have you ever ridden? If so, have you ever ridden sidesaddle or bareback?
I have ridden a very few times and most rides were carefully regulated and on very docile horses. I would like to perhaps take lessons and would like to try bareback. Side-saddle seems rather uncomfortable and could be dangerous.
5. Your favorite Cinderella dresses?
I loved Cinderella’s wedding dress in the 2015 movie. I loved the style of the blue dress, but I wish it was pink.
6. Do you ever think of Cinderella while doing your household chores? 🙂
Well, whenever we complain we tease each other about being Cinderella.
7. What major character traits do you think are essential in a faithful prince?
Besides the implied faithfulness and loyalty, I think honesty, confidence/humility, and bravery/honor are essential.
8. Your top THREE favorite fairy tales (as in the original folk tales, not adaptations).
I find the originals can be rather dark/immoral/disturbing. I have not read all, but I have read some in The Blue Fairy Book. As far as more lighter, but basic plot versions, I think I like Cinderella and The Twelve Dancing Princesses best. I am not sure about the third.
9. Your top FIVE current favorite fairy tale/legend type films (BESIDES any Cinderella adaptations).
Well, Tangled is my favorite Disney princess movie, but I am not exactly sure about my other favorites. Here are some I enjoy though: Enchanted, Swan Princess, Thumbelina, and Anastasia.
10. If you could play Cinderella and the story could be set in any region of the world and any time period, what would you pick? And what would your dream ‘ball gown’ for it be like?
Roman Britain hopefully before they harvested all those famous shellfish to extinction because I would want to have a lavender silk gown.
11. And (purely for fun :))… what color/s do you immediately associate with Cinderella?
Blue, but the Disney movie has her in silvery white. I do not know why they changed it to blue in all their other products; I drives me and my sisters nuts. I am not crazy about the blue; I preferred the pink.